This is a Mexican favourite, for its great flavour and versatility to be combined with main dishes such as mole, or even on its own with a fried egg and a good splash of salsa. Here is the recipe:
- 1 cup of long or medium rice
- 3 or 4 roma tomatoes (pending on the size)
- 2 chicken stock cubes (if vegan change for veggie stock)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 small carrot in small cubes
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- In a blender pour the tomatoes and water and blend until smooth
- In a hot cooking pot pour oil and rice. Move constantly to avoid burning.
- When the rice is transparent add the tomato water, the chicken stock cubes and the carrot
- Bring down to low heat and let boil
- When water is close to full evaporation, check if rice is tender. If not, add half a cup of extra water and continue the cooking process until all water has evaporated. Check constantly to avoid burning.